This question recreates one of the classic behavioral findings about framing. When confronted with a choice that has the same expected probability, people are often swayed by the way the choices are presented. Would you rather have a 10% chance of mortality or would you rather have a 90% chance of survival are the same but, not surprisingly people predictably choose a 90% chance of survival.
Course Used: Principles of Micro Quiz Nature: Discussion Starter Question Length: 1 Estimated Time to Play: Less than 2 minutes.
This quick short quiz starts easy and gets harder for most students. It is best to play this Kahoot after going through the PPC thoroughly. Most students miss question 4 on whether unemployment shifts the PPC in or not.
A lot of the social push for higher minimum wages focuses on the need to provide a living wage or to lift workers out of poverty. This Kahoot quiz covered a variety of looks at how the minimum wage impacts different segments of the economy and whether its a solid enough tool to address poverty concerns. Before the quiz, students are asked two watch two YouTube videos from We The Economy on inequality:
While these two focus on the debate portion of minimum wage legislations, students are asked to review a 1987 New York Times opinion piece that pushes for the abolishment of a minimum wage. Most students tend to think the status quo is the only option beyond an increase, but there is a segment of the population that argues for the abolishment. Finally, students look at a recent attempt by California to boost their entire state’s minimum wage to $15 per hour. This article by FiveThirtyEight argues that a lift in the minimum wage only really impacts different portions of the state and leads students to the idea that different regions may be better off determining their own minimum wage.
Course Used: Labor Economics Quiz Nature: Video and Reading Quiz Question Length: 7 Questions Estimated Time to Play: 10 minutes
Much of the discussion on the economics of migration focuses on the measurable aspects, in the sense of improved efficiency or the externalities associated with the move. Little, unfortunately, looks at the normative and social side of the decision to migrate. The Freakonomics team looked at whether people deserved the right to move at the same level as the right to clean water in their podcast “Migration as a Basic Human Right.” The positive components are still there in the sense that they discuss the human capital theory of migration and the impacts of additional workers on wage. There is a strong historical component in the podcast that focuses on migration around World War II, again during the fall of the USSR, and today’s Syrian refugee crisis. The podcast, in total, is about an hour long.
Course Used: Labor Economics Quiz Nature: Podcast Question Length: 7 Questions Estimated Time to Play: 10 minutes
There has been a recent push in the United States to highlight the role of automation replacing labor in the workforce. This Kahoot covers the Freakonomics podcast “How Safe is Your Job?” While the podcast is around 30 minutes in total, the quiz takes less than 10 minutes to complete. The two interview David Autor, John Komlos, and Randall Monroe on what they believe is the roll of humans as the workplace becomes more automized. The roll of creative destruction in the workplace allows for the invention of new products and services that had not previously been considered, which makes it difficult to really forecast what happens in the future. This story is told through the history of the player piano transitioning to radios.
Course Used: Labor Economics Quiz Nature: Podcast Question Length: 8 Questions Estimated Time to Play: 10 minutes
Henry Ford’s decision to pay a daily wage of $5 was revolutionary at the time, but few students know the reason behind it. A lot of history courses focuses on Ford’s desire for his workers to be able to purchase the car they were building, but his decision was based on economics. For had an excessive amount of turnover because the wages were not high enough for workers to deal with the unsafe conditions (learn more).
This Kahoot covers an analysis of the Ford decision by having students read the original New York Times announcement, listen to an NPR podcast on the importance of this decision on today’s middle class, and finally read a Forbes articleoutlining the decision in economics terms. The quiz tends to focus on the relevant dates and values from the article. Most of the analysis of turnover and pay is covered in early chapters of a labor economics textbook.
Course Used: Labor Economics Quiz Nature: Reading Question Length: 8 Questions Estimated Time to Play: 10 minutes
This Kahoot looks at discrimination for actors/actresses and primarily focuses on a 2015 FiveThirtyEight article entitled “The Workplace is Even More Sexist In Movies Than in Reality.” The article covers occupational differences for men and women in movies using the Opusdata database, which tracks film releases, box officer performance, and screen credits. The quiz also covers two opposing blog posts, one by Jennifer Lawrence and a follow-up response by Chris Rock. Jennifer Lawrence initially argued that it was her own fault for being paid less and that she needed to do a better job negotiations. Chris Rock argued that Lawrence was still doing sufficiently better than African American women and other racial minorities.
Course Used: Labor Economics Quiz Nature: Reading Question Length: 7 Questions Estimated Time to Play: 10 minutes